At the Downtown Austin Alliance, we never underestimate the importance of the basics. Good infrastructure provides the strong foundation needed to support downtown’s growth. That’s why the majority of our annual budget goes toward services to keep downtown clean and safe.
Improving downtown safety is a community effort. The DAA supports the work of the Austin Police Department, all other local criminal justice agencies, and the downtown social service provider network. Together, we build relationships to develop effective public/private partnerships that improve public safety. Our areas of focus include:
- Community involvement in public safety
- Housing advocacy and safe, effective delivery of social services
- Crime-safety cameras and policing technology
The DAA’s ambassador team hits the streets before dawn every day to keep downtown looking its best. Our maintenance division supplements City cleaning services, and DAA staff works with City departments to coordinate services and to advocate for programs and initiatives to improve the public realm, including:
- Direct services: Litter and graffiti removal, sidewalk cleaning
- Alley reconstruction
- Bird control services
- Refuse management and recycling
Who Should I Call?
- Emergencies or all crimes/public order problems in-progress: 911
- Crimes/public order problems after they have occurred: 311
- Graffiti on private property or any litter or sidewalk-cleaning issues: (512) 937-7422 (Downtown Austin Ambassadors)
- Graffiti on public right-of-way: 311
- All other maintenance, repairs or other issues: 311